Whether it is appetizer, breakfast or dinner, salmon patties are excellent main dish that has packed with omega-3 fatty acids and essential nutrients. The fish cakes are crisp on the outside, tender inside and packed with flavor.
For seafood and burger lovers, salmon patties are a must-have. A representation of the archetypal burger patties with mouthwatering salmon flavor and a side dish makes the meal complete.
What to eat with salmon patties? Salmon patties are commonly served with lemon dill dipping sauce to freshen up every bite. However, there are more than just sauces to compliment this main entrée as a full meal.
Depend on the day, salmon patties can be served with salads, roasted vegetables, coleslaw, fries, pasta, baked beans, rice, and bread.
Filled with minced veggie and packed with protein, salmon patties are more flavorful and delicious than crab or standard fish cakes. However, refreshing and fulfilling sides can help to make the meal complete.
So, we’re done preparing our favorite salmon patties, but what do we serve them with? Answered below are frequently asked questions about what to eat with salmon burgers and patties.
What are salmon patties?
Salmon patties are made from a base of cooked or canned salmon, chopped onion and red bell pepper, breadcrumbs, and egg to combine and shape into bite-size patties or salmon burgers.
Depending on the recipe, salmon patties may be coated with panko bread crumbs before frying to make the outside extra crunchy and keep the inside moist and soft.
Salmon cakes are quickly panfried, and typically topped with sauce or garnishes like lemon zest, paprika, roasted garlic, dill, lemon juice, and bell pepper to balance acidic and fishy taste.
What side goes good with salmon patties?
From appetizer to meal, there are numerous sides to serve with salmon patties including:
- Fresh salad: When picking a salad to eat with salmon, be sure to go for those with vibrant colors, crunchy texture and spiced flavors to hold up to the robust flavors of the dish. Some vegetables to serve with salmon include tomatoes, squash, bell peppers, and broccoli. Besides being delicious, they add savory flavors, tenderness to the dish and complete a wholesome meal. These salads include a variety of lettuces, beans, potato, spinach and fruit.
- Sweet potato fries: Just imagine savory salmon patties with a side of tender and crisp sweet potatoes fries? Intriguing, right? Always pair salmon patties with bright flavors, and sweet potatoes are a perfect complement with garlic aioli, maple mustard, or mayo for an irresistible treat.
- Soft bread roll: What better way to have salmon if not wrapping it in a tender dinner roll? Besides being easy to make, buttery and pillowy buns are delicious and ideal for pairing with salmon.
- Coleslaw: Coleslaws are a classic side for salmon patties to add color with a refreshing and tasty acidity to balance the dish. Coleslaw is the star for an easy-to-make, delicious, rich salmon side that doesn’t overpower the salmon taste!
- Roasted Vegetables: Opt for healthy side dishes such as simple oven roasted vegetables including brussels sprouts, carrots, broccoli, bell peppers, and zucchini.
- Rice: Plain, fried or seasoned rice makes an excellent side to serve with seared salmon cakes. Squeeze fresh lemon juice, olive oil and minced parsley on brown rice so the side accompanies well with the patties.
- Pasta: Whether it is cream, pesto or classic olive oil based pasta, when serving with salmon patties, consider squeezing lemon zest as a garnish to give a refreshing explosion of flavor. A classic pasta that pairs well with salmon patties is penne pasta with alfredo sauce.
What sauce goes with salmon patties?
Salmon patties pair well with creamy sauces that have a hint of citrusy flavor. Savory sauces that can be used include garlic sauce, mustard sauce, dill sauce, aioli sauce, tartar sauce and remoulade sauce.
Most people prefer using lemon dill aioli on their patties since it adds some tangy flavor to the salmon.
Here are chef’s favorite sauce combinations for flavors that go well with salmon patties:
- mayonnaise + dijon mustard + sriracha + lemon + cocktail sauce
- sour cream + dill + garlic powder + salt
- mayonnaise + sour cream + dijon mustard + chives + dill + hot sauce
- horseradish + pickle juice + mayonnaise + lemon + paprika
- greek yogurt + capers + lemon + black pepper
- ketchup + horseradish + hot sauce + mayonnaise + sweet relish
What vegetable to serve with salmon patties?
Salmon cakes, patties or burgers can be served with a fresh salad or steamed, boiled, sautéed, marinated, roasted, or quick pickled vegetables. When served with a salad or cooked veggies, adding lemon zest into the dressing or lemon juice into a sauce eliminates the fishiness of the patties.
Salmon patty friendly vegetables are:
- brussels sprouts
- sweet potatoes
- bell peppers
- summer squash
Eat With Salmon Burger: Conclusion
Preparing salmon cakes and burgers during brunch or dinner is an ideal way to please guests and formulate a nutritiously complete meal. Not only are salmon patties delicious, but also unique and can be paired with almost anything.
Traditionally, salmon patties are served with creamy, lemony or citrusy sauces. But some recipes include salads, roasted vegetables, coleslaw, fries, pasta, baked beans, rice, and bread as a side dish to make it a whole meal.
Large salmon patties can be served in a burger bun with leafy greens and aioli sauce to take the dish to a whole new level.
When adding pasta or rice side dishes, consider incorporating lemon juice so that it can balance the rich and fishy patties in a way that does not overpower the flavor. For a healthy option, roast a mixture of vegetables on the side instead of serving fried foods.
Whether it is veggie sides, rice, pasta, fries or soft and sweet dinner rolls, prepare dipping sauces to serve on the side. Salmon patties can taste good with sweet, salty, sour, spicy, savory, herb flavored sauces that are meant to benefit the overall combination.