Fragrant, juicy, and tender, roasted chicken is easily devisable making it perfect to serve as a meal with family and friends. It’s not only delicious, but healthy and versatile centerpiece that can be eating with many foods at the same time.
Once roasted, the crispy and juicy chicken meat will needs some basic accompaniments. From rice to roasted carrots and potatoes, several dishes form a perfect duo with roasted chicken.
What to eat with roast chicken? Depending on how roasted chicken is cooked and prepared, it generally offers a rich and filling taste. Therefore, a crisp salad or silky mashed vegetables are the perfect starting point.
In order to enjoy the maximum flavor of roasted chicken, herb roasted potatoes and carrots, lemon and garlic sautéed green beans, roasted asparagus, cauliflower rice, creamy and rich mashed potatoes, sweet potato and roasted broccoli or brussels sprouts are healthy side dishes to pair with.
Whether you are looking for refreshing sides to serve in summer or winter,this article has you covered. Answered below are frequently asked questions about dishes that blend perfectly with roast chicken.
What should I serve with roast chicken?
Roasted chicken can be served with many different dishes from raw and cooked vegetables to salads, pasta, rice, slice of bread, wine, and many more.
Here are tasty ingredients that serve well with roast chicken:
- Vegetables: potatoes, green beans, carrots, brussels sprouts, broccoli, kale, asparagus, cauliflower, squash, sweet potatoes, mushroom
- Salads: caesar, cobb, spring, arugula, chopped salad
- Pasta: angel hair, baked pasta, spaghetti, linguine, penne, Alfredo
- Rice: risotto, fried rice, brown rice, pilaf
- Bread: sourdough, ciabatta, baguette
- Wine: Burgundy, Syrah, Savennieres, Amontillado sherry, Pinot Noir, white Burgundy
Roast chicken accompaniment sauce
If you want to transform a roasted chicken meal into a flavorful classic, try accompanying it with some sauce. Sauces that are perfect with chicken include:
- Barbecue sauce: Barbecue sauce is the most preferred sauce when roasting chicken. Dump, stir thoroughly, and simmer till it gets a thick consistency and tangy bite. This sauce can be refrigerated for a week once made, and brush this sauce on the chicken before roasting.
- Peanut sauce: This sauce gives roast chicken an exotic flavor. Be sure to flavor this nutty sauce with some coconut cream and red curry paste before drizzling it on the chicken.
- Pesto sauce: Add some Italian aptitude to the dinner table by accompanying roast chicken with some pesto sauce. Pesto sauce can be made by combining basil, olive oil, pine nuts, parmesan cheese, and garlic. Drizzle this sumptuous sauce over the chicken and vegetable salads just before serving.
- Garlic sauce: Drizzling some roast garlic sauce over the roast chicken will take it to a whole new level. Garlic sauce is majorly derived from combining chicken stock, roasted garlic, shallots, and a wine like port, sherry or marsala.
Salad to go with roast chicken
Roasted chicken goes well with green beans, sweet potato or zucchini that is grilled, sautéed, fried or using other cooking techniques your prefer.
When it comes to fresh salad, roast chicken blends perfectly as leftover to add on top or mix with almost any salad dressing you enjoy.
- caesar salad
- arugula salad
- garden salad
- cobb salad
- chopped Italian salad
- kale salad
What to serve with roast chicken in the summer?
Even though it requires a whole chicken to roast in the oven, magnificently roasted chicken is the perfect dish to serve during the summer. Generally, simple addition of herb, garlic, and lemon is all you need for chicken to roast to succulent perfection.
But, it is crucial to use summer vegetables to roast on the side. For chef-approved summer vegetables that pair beautifully use:
- bell peppers
- green beans
- cherry tomatoes
- summer squash
Give roasted chicken a summery makeover by pairing it with pilaf, some barbecue lamb leg, or better yet, go for a baked salmon. Roast chicken can also be paired with peppers and feta, spinach, potatoes, bacon, radishes, shallot, green beans, spicy apricot tabbouleh, or asparagus.
Watermelon and strawberry salad, faro salad, french fries, and balsamic mushrooms form the perfect duo as well.
What to serve with roast chicken in winter?
In winter, roast chicken is a fabulous center dish that goes well with countless hearty sides and meals. Whether it is leftover or freshly roasted on a rotisserie, here are classic dishes to serve with roast chicken in cold weather:
- winter squash
- sweet potato
- celery root
Other than roasting vegetables together, serve the roast chicken with potato salad, zucchini sautéed with garlic parmesan, brussels sprouts, broccoli, parsnips, sugar snap peas, stewed beans, or spinach.
Eat With Roast Chicken: Conclusion
Roast chicken is archetypal, especially for lunches and Sunday dinners. The beauty of roasted chicken is that it can be served with almost everything that suits your fancy.
From vegetables to grains and wines, you can never go wrong. Add garlic, lemon, pepper and salt are all you need to prepare delicious roasted chicken in the oven or rotisserie.
This mild flavorful dish pairs well with fresh salad or cooked vegetables of your choice. The classic dishes that go well with roasted chicken include herb coated roasted potatoes and carrots, sautéed green beans, pureed cauliflower, mashed potatoes, and roasted root vegetables.
Depending on your recipe, it can also taste good with pasta, rice, and bread. Add the right glass of wine to finalize the taste even more.
If your leftover chicken needs more flavor, consider dipping into sweet and sour barbecue sauce, tangy and nutty peanut sauce, or savory pesto or rich garlic sauce.
Whether it is summer or winter season, roasted chicken is a season-less protein that pairs wonderfully with fresh salad and seasonal vegetables. When you serve roast chicken for family or friends, use these flavor combination to enjoy every bite.