Creamy texture with pungent and savory flavor, mushroom soup is loaded with sautéed mushrooms, heavy cream, flour, herbs and vegetables that offers a well balanced combination.
The soup by itself may not be providing all the nutrients that you need. However, the rich and subtle taste of mushroom soup opens the door to pair with variety of side dishes.
What to eat with mushroom soup? Mushroom soup complements wonderfully with crunchy side dishes such as baked vegetables or chicken tenders.
Additionally, fresh baked breads including garlic bread, grilled cheese, and biscuits add a buttery taste and hearty complement to the meal.
But if you are looking for acidity on the side, consider a green salad with lemon vinaigrette salad dressing or cooked vegetables such as broccoli, green beans, and roasted potatoes.
Mushroom soup is easy to make, and is savory, creamy, and suitable for vegans and non-vegans. A few aromatics and herbs, and the job is done.
Here are some flavorful foods, sandwiches, bread, and classic pairings to serve with mushroom soup. Answered below are frequently asked questions about what to eat with mushroom soup, providing you with specifics on what to serve for the best food pairings.
What food to pair with mushroom soup?
Whether you are having some friends over or eating alone, whip up delicious sides to bring out the best from the mushroom soup. Since mushroom soup is smooth and creamy, pair it with crunchy or acidic ingredients to balance out opposing positions.
Here are food ingredients to pair with mushroom soup:
- Vegetables: asparagus, leeks, shallots, onions, fennel, peas, tomatoes, celery, broccoli
- Nuts: walnuts, cashew, almonds, pecans, chestnuts
- Cheese: blue, cheddar, gouda, cream cheese
- Herbs: chives, dill, parsley, basil, oregano, rosemary, marjoram, tarragon
- Spices:, pepper, ginger
- Rice: white rice, wild rice, brown rice
- Condiments: olive oil, white miso
- Mushroom: porcini, cremini, wild, oyster, chestnut, portobello
- Meat: chicken, veal, seafood, bacon, eggs, ham, fish
- Wine: Chardonnays, oaked white wine
What bread to serve with mushroom soup?
When pairing bread and mushroom soup, go for bread types that complement the earthy and hearty flavors of the soup. Since mushroom soup is quite creamy, go for a dark, dense bread to support it.
Some bread types for pairing with mushroom soup include:
What sandwich goes well with mushroom soup?
A bowl of warm mushroom soup and sandwich is all you need to make a fulfilling meal. However, not all sandwiches marry well with mushroom soup.
These are ideal sandwich and mushroom combinations:
- Onion and cheese sandwich: Grilled onion and cheese sandwich is a winner with mushroom soup. The flavors complement each other perfectly as the onion brings out the mushroom soup and cheese richness. Slices of brie cheese or medium cheddar cheese make the perfect blend.
- Bacon sandwich: This is an ideal option to satisfy empty tummies. Just fry a few bacon strips and generously fill them on thickly buttered bread slices. When dipped into creamy mushroom soup, the combo is delicious.
- Grilled cheese sandwich: A grilled cheese toast is even tastier when dipped into a bowl of hot mushroom soup. It holds together perfectly and soaks up the rich mushroom soup goodness.
- Avocado and egg sandwich: For a slightly sophisticated palette, an avocado and egg sandwich works perfectly with mushroom soup. Eggs and avocado are a classic combination, whether hard-boiled, fried, or scrambled.
- Deli meat sandwich: It’ll be perfect whether preparing the sandwich with some chicken, turkey or ham. Add your favorite deli meat sandwich and serve hot mushroom soup on the side for a sumptuous and satisfying lunch or dinner.
What flavor pairs well with mushroom soup?
Add salt, parmesan, or tomato paste to mushroom soup for extra umami flavor. These ingredients will give richness, depth of savory flavor and body to the mushroom soup.
A dash of sour cream or yogurt also brings bitter undertones to the soup. Squeezing in some lime or lemon gives the dish an extra tang, perfect to round out the flavor with slight acidity.
Don’t forget to add in a handful of fresh herbs. They gives earthy flavors and leave the kitchen smelling heavenly.
Here are flavorful combinations to achieve with mushroom soup:
- mushroom soup + rice + parmesan cheese
- mushroom soup + pork chops + salted butter
- mushroom soup + chicken + rosemary + carrots + olive oil
- mushroom soup + ground meat + bread crumbs + Worcestershire
- mushroom soup + pasta + cheddar cheese + olive oil
Eat With Mushroom Soup: Conclusion
Mushroom soup is the go-to on busy weeknights when you need a quick and easy dinner that the whole family will enjoy. However, to make it tastier and more flavorful, pair it with side dishes that complement the exquisiteness of the dish.
Typically, mushroom soup is served with baked or roasted vegetables, or with crispy chicken tenders. This will add texture and color to create beautiful plate, and make the meal more wholesome and delicious.
Breads generally can’t go wrong as a side for any type of soup, especially with mushroom soup. The bread choices that pair perfectly with this creamy soup are garlic bread, sourdough, rye, cornbread, and multigrain bread.
However, you can also use bread to make delicious and filling sandwiches with onion, bacon, cheese, egg, avocado, and deli meat. Serve the sandwich on the side, and dip it into the creamy soup for extra goodness.
These delicious and healthy pairings with mushroom soup will give you an excellent place to start. Use these flavor combination and suggested ingredients to add contrasting textures and flavors, transforming the whole mushroom soup experience into a league of its own.