Rich and creamy with a slightly sweet taste and smooth mouthfeel, milk is perfect beverage to pair with fruits, cereals, and toast for breakfast.
Starting the morning with a hearty breakfast and cup of milk is a healthy morning routine for both kids and adults.
What to eat with milk for breakfast? Traditional breakfast foods that pair well with milk include waffles, pancakes, donuts, grilled cheese sandwiches, peanut butter and jelly, cinnamon rolls and bagel.
A cup of milk is loaded with protein, fat, carbohydrate, calcium, and B vitamins, which can help your body convert food into fuel. Therefore, milk is great beverage to add to breakfast menu because it is packed with micro and macronutrients.
Since whole milk is a complete meal, it can be enjoyed at any time of the day.
Got milk but not sure what to pair it with? This article answers frequently asked questions about what pairs well with milk.
Is it OK to drink milk for breakfast?
Yes, it is ok to drink milk for breakfast. In fact, milk is filled with nutrients and pairs well with breakfast items to start the day off in the right direction.
Starting a day with a glass of milk will give you optimum energy. Milk can be consumed all alone or with something else to eat.
However, it is recommended to not to drink milk in the morning on an empty stomach due to effects of slower digestion at that point in time.
Can I drink milk on an empty stomach?
No, you should not drink milk on an empty stomach. Milk is heavy to digest, however accompanying with fruit, slice of toast or handful of nuts can help to ease digestion.
Milk is known as a sleep inducer, therefore it is also recommended to drink milk at night to enhance good night sleep.
However, it puts a load on the digestive system that can cause stomachache as well as make your body work hard to digest it. As a result, it is better to consume glass of milk with a light snack.
Which fruit is good with milk?
Whether using milk for smoothies or cereal topped with fruits, the best fruits with milk include raisins, figs, dates, and ripe sweet mango.
Generally, it is easy and quick addition for fruits to pair with milk as it does not require any cooking. However, not all fruits are compatible with milk, and some may cause upset stomach.
- Raisins: With handful of raisins toss with cereal and milk can improve blood circulation and pressure.
- Figs: It helps to increase calcium and iron as well as perform a cleansing detox in the body.
- Dates: Overall provide nutrition to all the tissues and increase body weight.
- Mangos: Only good with milk when mangoes are ripe and sweet to increase calcium and iron.
Dried fruits are a great option since they make milk taste more enjoyable. Dry fruits are nutrient-dense and add a good amount of fiber, vitamins, and minerals to the milk.
When pairing milk and fruit, always choose sweet fruits and avoid sour ones. Eliminate pairing milk with citrusy fruits since the high acidity can cause the milk to coagulate leading to indigestion problems.
Name breakfast food that goes well with milk
Other than fruits, there are nutritious and fulfilling breakfast foods that go well with milk. Waffles, cereal, toast and baked goods are some of the classic breakfast foods to eat with milk.
- Waffles: Most people eat waffles for breakfast. Waffles taste better when paired with milk, unlike when paired with water, especially since waffles contain several ingredients, giving the meal a unique taste.
- Cereal: Nobody can ever go wrong with a bowl of cereal and milk as it is a match made in heaven. This combination gives a comforting idea for breakfast, be sure to top the dish with strawberries to make the meal more delicious.
- Toast: Toast and milk make a lovely breakfast meal. Preparing toast takes a swift and easy process, top with jam, jelly, peanut butter, the list is endless.
- Cookies, cinnamon rolls and pancakes: Cinnamon rolls are amazing. Eating them with milk makes the meal delicious and inviting. Cookies also bring a good breakfast idea, however warm cookies dunked in milk makes the meal complete. Preparing pancakes can be tiresome, but once they are ready, then eating with a glass of milk will help in relax.
Eat With Milk for Breakfast: Conclusion
Loaded with calcium, vitamins, and protein, a cup of milk is an essential beverage for breakfast, snack, and before bedtime.
No matter when you consume milk, it is important to not drink milk on an empty stomach. Milk by itself is difficult to digest, therefore it is recommended to consume with a small meal at all times.
In general, people of all ages enjoy milk for breakfast, and accompanying it with complementary dishes makes it taste naturally sweeter. There are numerous ways to take your milk to the next level like pairing with waffles, pancakes, donuts, grilled cheese sandwiches, peanut butter and jelly, bagels, and fruit.
When it comes to fruits, avoid eating citrus fruits such as lemon, lime, or oranges as it can result indigestive issue caused by the coagulation of the milk due to the acidic foods.
Consider raisins, figs, dates, ripe mangoes or dry fruits to pair with milk to help ease digestion in the morning.
If you have been struggling with digestion when having breakfast with milk, use these tips to prepare breakfast meal that goes well with cup of milk to start the day energized.