Do you feel relaxed when sipping a cup of warm milk at night before going to bed? Whether it is for better night sleep or to pair with dessert, milk is great tool to help sleep better.
Milk contains tryptophan, which is an amino acid that converts into serotonin to give you pleasure. The serotonin increases the amount of melatonin in the body resulting in a good night sleep, therefore milk benefits people of all ages.
What to eat with milk at night? Foods that are easy to digest with milk at night include apples with peanut butter, cheese and crackers, or cereal.
These healthy snacks contain magnesium that further aids to better sleep. In addition, spices such as cinnamon, grated ginger or turmeric in milk is a great option to regulate sleep.
So, is it reasonable to drink milk before bed? What pairs best with milk?
Answered below are frequently asked questions about what to eat with milk at night. Read through the article to find out more!
Is it reasonable to drink milk before bed?
Yes, it is reasonable to drink milk before bed. In fact, you can have a glass of milk without an accompaniment since whole milk is regarded as a complete meal full of essential nutrients.
However, to avoid waking up when hungry, accompany milk with fruit, baked goods or salty food that go well with milk at night.
Generally, milk has several compounds that increase the chance of falling asleep. Therefore, people who take longer to sleep can try a glass of milk before bedtime and may notice the difference.
Additionally, milk adds energy to the body because it contains fat, protein, carbs and essential vitamins and minerals. As a result, taking a glass of milk at night helps replenish the lost power during the day’s activities and provides a feeling of fulness.
What happens when we drink milk at night?
Drinking milk at night guarantees a good sleep. There are natural compounds in milk like tryptophan that helps people to fall asleep quickly and sleep comfortably.
Milk also helps in boosting muscle recovery after a long day of using energy. Replenish lost energy by consuming full fat milk, especially at night time.
Post workout, to be specific, benefit a lot from the milk since it provides protein that helps stave off cravings and hunger.
What is the best thing to eat with milk at night?
Knowing what pairs well with milk at night can prevent upset stomach, give a feeling of fullness and assist in better sleep. However, eating or drinking too much at night can lead to gaining weight.
Here are healthy options to eat with milk at night:
- Apples with Peanut Butter: A small apple sliced into pieces and smothered in peanut butter is great way to feel full while staying healthy. The potassium and magnesium in the fruit paired with the protein in milk and nut butter help to promote a great nights sleep.
- Cheese and Crackers: Carb rich crackers with cheese boost tryptophan sources that help to increase serotonin and melatonin to aid better sleep. But, be aware not to over consume which is quite easy with the bite size snack.
- Cereals: Most people think that cereal is only suitable for breakfast, however you can definitely enjoy cereal at any time of day. Milk with cereal is a fan favorite because the creaminess and crunch is a perfect match.
- Almonds: Select plain or salty almonds, but eating almonds with milk at night makes for a tasty meal. They have several nutrients including compounds that help in inducing sleep, just like milk. Pairing them with milk before bedtime can help you enjoy a very comfortable goodnight sleep.
- Spices: For night milk drinkers, spices are soothing elements that cannot be avoided. Cinnamon, ginger, and turmeric is the golden recipe to make a warm healthy drink instead of drinking plain milk.
Eat With Milk at Night: Conclusion
Drinking milk is not only healthy, but comforting and triggers a better nights sleep. If you are looking for an easy and nutritious filling drink, consider a warm cup of milk and pair with a snack on the side.
To select a complement for milk at night, we highly recommend apple slices with peanut butter, cheese and crackers, cereals, or simply blend with spices.
Fruits, nuts, and spices are also great additions to milk that promote serotonin and eliminate hunger the next morning.
People who take milk regularly can attest to the benefits of the protein rich beverage. On cold days, especially at night, cuddling up with a hot mug of whole milk before bedtime guarantees a goodnight sleep and gives you energy for the next day’s hustle and bustle.