From gravy to shepherd’s pie, mashed potatoes are classic sides to pair with cooked meat and vegetables. Creamy and smooth texture that melts in your mouth, providing the perfect mouthfeel.
Mashed potatoes are a wonderful side dish that are buttery and rich, the decadence can be paired with almost anything. Everything goes well with the potato creaminess and laid-back taste, from a juicy steak to savory pork chops.
What to eat with mashed potatoes? Mashed potatoes are typically served with turkey, steak, chicken, fish, and pork to balance the saltiness of the protein with the creaminess and tenderness of the side dish.
In addition, green beans, carrots, pumpkin, cabbage, brussels sprouts, spinach, and kale are great roasted or cooked vegetable sides that go well beside or mixed with the mashed potatoes.
As a result, mashed potatoes pair well with a wide variety of foods. From fried chicken to meatloaf, ditch pasta carb and try with a creamy and delicious mashed potatoes.
If you’ve wondered what dishes pair perfectly with mashed potatoes, you’ve come to the best place. Answered below are are frequently asked questions about the possible mashed potatoes pairings to try for your next dinner.
What can you eat with mashed potatoes besides gravy?
Gravy is the most classic food item to pair with mashed potatoes. It has the salty and goopy sauce consistency that can be eaten with mashed potatoes.
Here are other foods to top mashed potatoes with:
- Meat: bacon, ham, sausage, meatballs, grund meat, pork, chicken, ribs
- Fish: salmon, cod, sea bass, catfish
- Dairy: sour cream, butter
- Cheese: cheddar, feta, cottage cheese, brie, parmesan
- Sauce: gravy, béchamel sauce, au jus, pesto sauce
- Vegetables: chives, onions, garlic, cabbage, sauerkraut, asparagus, carrots
What kind of meat goes good with mashed potatoes?
In general, mashed potatoes offer a range of pairing with most meat varieties, from savory pork chops to juicy steak. The rich creaminess and smooth texture blends well with savory meat taste.
Meats that pair well with mashed potatoes include:
- Turkey: Turkey and mashed potatoes are one of the most classic combos in American cuisine. The saltiness of the meat balanced by the creaminess and tenderness of the mashed potatoes is a perfect matchup.
- Beef: These two are a match made in heaven. The creaminess of the potatoes blends perfectly with any cut of roasted beef.
- Fried chicken: Another favorite pairing is that of fried chicken and mashed potatoes. It’s flavorful and offers an excellent quality of crispiness on the outside and tenderness on the inside.
- Catfish: It is a delectable southern dish coated in corn meal and deep-fried. The savory flavor of mashed potatoes combines with the mild flavor and lightness of the fish resulting in an irresistible meal.
- Pork chops: Roasted pork chops can be dry sometimes, and thus needs a creamy balance of mashed potatoes to offset the profile.
What food goes well with mashed potatoes?
Mashed potatoes complement most recipes with chicken, lamb and beef. Furthermore, this staple can be served as a main dish or side depending on the crowd.
Pair your mashed potatoes with these main dishes:
- beef bourguignon
- beef Wellington
- fried fish
- fried chicken
- corned beef
- shepherd’s pie
- roasted turkey
What flavor goes well with mashed potatoes?
To add flavor to mashed potatoes, spice them religiously with fresh aromatics such as rosemary, thyme, onion and garlic. These ingredients will give them a mild flavor with some excellent earthy notes.
Salt also helps them cook faster and break apart, making them creamier and fluffier when mashed. Go in with milk or sour cream to give them a slight tang and enhance the creaminess.
Here are classic flavor combination that goes well with mashed potatoes:
- mashed potatoes + filet mignon + mustard + parsley + garlic + butter
- mashed potatoes + sausage + onion + gravy
- mashed potatoes + salmon + lemon + butter + garlic
- mashed potatoes + meatloaf + oatmeal
- mashed potatoes + balsamic vinegar + pork chops
Eat with Mashed Potatoes: Conclusion
Fluffy and creamy, mashed potatoes are delightful when paired with main entrees such as meat or vegetable base. Top with herbs, butter, or sauce to make every bite even more enjoyable.
Mashed potatoes are a versatile dish that can be improved by adding ingredients such as parsley, white pepper, parmesan cheese, garlic and chives.
The taste can be bland, and therefore should be paired with foods that complement flavor with the savory taste.
From fried chicken to shepherd’s pie, use these classic flavor combination to accompany smooth and mouthwatering mashed potatoes with your next meal prep.