Whether glazed or cream filled, donuts are full of delicious surprises. From morning to midday snack, the fluffy and sweet treat makes everyone smile at anytime of the day.
Donuts are simply served with hot or cold drinks including coffee, milk, or even go fancier with a glass of wine. This doesn’t mean donuts can be only paired with drinks, there are other foods to enjoy every bite with donuts.
What to eat with donuts? Depending on the occasion, donuts for breakfast can be served with yogurt, eggs, ham, bacon, fruit, coffee or hot cocoa. And for special occasions, serve a scoop of ice cream to make a donut ice cream sandwich or pair with champagne.
Not only do donuts pair wonderfully with coffee, it goes well with dessert wine such as Moscato, sparkling wine, and Vin Santo.
Be creative to add exciting flavor combination on glazed donuts including honey and sriracha, toasted pineapple, maple bacon, or marshmallows and chocolate.
The classic deep fried or baked donuts are versatile to make into egg and cheese or even grilled cheese sandwich.
With different sizes and shapes, whether glazed, fried, baked, or jelly-filled, donuts are no longer a stand-alone food. So, how should they be served? Well, here is more info.
What goes well with a donut?
Single or dozen, donuts are served in the morning or as a midday snack in the office. The fluffy sweetness melts in your mouth when paired with beverages or with food based on the occasion.
Here are classic ingredients that goes well with a donut:
- Fruits: orange, apple, apricot, strawberries, pineapple, banana
- Cheese: ricotta, smoked gouda, cheddar, brie
- Nuts: walnuts, peanuts, pine nuts
- Chocolate: milk, dark, white
- Spices: cinnamon,
- Condiments: maple syrup, whipping cream, vanilla, nutella, cocoa
- Wine: Asti, Champagne, Moscato d’Asti, sparkling wine, Vin Santo
- Beverage: cider, coffee, milk, hot cocoa
What goes well with glazed donuts?
Glazed donuts are sumptuous on their own, but they taste even better when paired with the right foods.
Some classic pairings to eat with glazed donuts include:
- Spicy and sweet: Cut up some glazed donuts, then drizzle honey and sriracha.
- Sandwich: Add breakfast toppings such as cheese, eggs, bacon, and breakfast sausages between two slices of a donut to have the most memorable sandwich you have ever created.
- Pineapple upside-down: Insert pineapple slices and sprinkle with brown sugar. Heat everything with a kitchen torch, then finish off with a maraschino cherry on top.
- Donut sundae: Slice the donuts in the middle horizontally, then fill up with whipped cream, scoops of ice cream, and finely chopped nuts or any of your favorite toppings.
- Cheese: pair with sweetness and crunch with savory cheese like gruyere or mimic a donut’s flavor with a spice-rubbed cheese.
- Beer: Any hoppy beer type pairs wonderfully with a vanilla or chocolate glazed donuts, especially an India Pale Ale. The tropical fruits and citrus notes take the glazed donuts to the next level.
What goes with donuts for breakfast?
Traditionally, donuts were only served with a cup of plain black coffee or glass of milk. However, with many healthy pairings cropping up, things have changed.
For breakfast, pair donuts with:
- Greek yogurt
- hard-boiled eggs
How should donuts be served?
Donuts are best when served hot, especially when glazed or frosted.
Typically served with coffee or milk, however donuts can be served with other food items such as breakfast beverages, fruits, and protein.
- donuts + hard boiled egg + fruit salad
- donuts + breakfast sausage + cheese + cream
- donuts + bacon + provolone cheese
- donuts + ice cream + whipped cream + nuts
Eat with Donuts: Conclusion
Glazed, filled, or baked, donuts are sumptuous, but pairing them with other items brings new flavors and makes the experience more memorable.
They are great breakfast foods that are typically paired with a cup of black coffee. The bitter and rich coffee complements well with sweet and fluffy texture of the donuts.
Nevertheless, donuts complement well with yogurt, egg dishes, ham, bacon, fruit salad, cereal, cheese, and sausages for breakfast.
Even though they are a sweet treat, it can transform into savory dishes such as egg and ham sandwich or even grilled cheese sandwich. The sweet and salty will go hand to hand for an amazing match.
For special occasions, serve it as dessert with ice cream or with a specialty dessert wine.
To enjoy donuts for your meal, serve donuts while hot with coffee and add protein or dairy if needed to make a wholesome dish.
When looking to make a sandwich, select plain or glazed donuts instead of cream filled donuts. So, it is easier to insert protein or egg inside without making a mess.
Whether in the mood for something sweet or savory, there is always something for you when it comes to donuts!
Sunday 31st of July 2022
I get the donut with sriracha, taste weird at first bite until you fell for it! I would love adding Moscato d’Asti while making donuts at home! Not sure how much alcohol though.
Sunday 31st of July 2022
Great recommendation! Will have to try Moscato d'Asti with donuts, sounds like an interesting pairing to me!