Similar to ricotta cheese, cottage cheese has very mild flavor with a hint of salty taste and lots of curdy texture. It has the mildest taste with almost no cheese flavor, therefore it can go well with both sweet and savory dishes.
Typically, cottage cheese is paired with fruits and served for breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner. Packed with protein, calcium, and low in fat, cottage cheeses blends wonderfully in many dishes.
What do you eat with cottage cheese? Cottage cheese pairs with any ripe and soft fruit such as pineapple, peaches, plums, berries, and apples.
Sweet condiment including honey, maple syrup, jam, preservative, and marmalade also brighten up a creamy bowl of cottage cheese.
On the savory side, it can replace ricotta cheese in many recipes including salads, lasagna, pancakes, pasta, toast, and sandwiches.
We all love cottage cheese with that curd-y, chewy texture, the fatty mouthfeel, and the saltiness is to die for. For starters, adding different flavors to cottage cheese will do well. and go with some veggies, fruits, or chips as quick snacks or side dish.
This article tells you exactly what to pair with cottage cheese to make it tastier and more appealing. Answered below are frequently asked questions about foods to serve with cottage cheese and what goes best together.
What does cottage cheese go best with?
Cottage cheese pairs perfectly with almost everything thanks to its creamy, soft texture and mildly, tangy flavor.
For some extra protein, add cottage cheese to salads and pancakes or waffle batter. It can also be added to granola, then topped up with honey to give it a sweet and savory taste.
In addition, a spoonful of extra creamy texture to scrambled eggs or substituting for ricotta cheese when making lasagna. Add it to baked goods such as dinner rolls, muffins, bread or cake to make them fluffier and tastier.
Here are chef’s favorite ingredients to pair with cottage cheese:
- Fruits: passion fruit, orange, pineapple, kiwi, strawberries, blueberries, papaya, grapefruit, peach, mango, pear, raisins, apples
- Nuts: almonds, walnuts, macadamia, pine nuts, cashews
- Cheese: feta, parmesan
- Meat: ground beef, sausage, ham
- Herbs: basil, dill, thyme, herbes de Provence, rosemary, sage, tarragon
- Spices: cinnamon, garlic powder
- Condiments: honey, maple syrup, jam, preserves, marmalade, vanilla, sour cream
What goes with cottage cheese savory?
Cottage cheese and fruits are a match made in heaven. However, it doesn’t mean that it only taste good with sweet ingredients. For snack and dinner, cottage cheese also goes with savory foods.
What vegetable goes good with cottage cheese?
It’s no secret that cottage cheese makes lots of foods taste better, and this is no different with veggies. Whether vegetables are freshly served as a salad or cooked and served on the side, cottage cheese adds color and texture to the whole plate.
Vegetables to pair with cottage cheese include:
- Broccoli: If you are in doubt that veggies taste good with cottage cheese, then you’ve not tried some cheesy roasted broccoli. Be ready for a flavor explosion with this delicious combo.
- Peppers: The tanginess of cottage cheese blends perfectly with roasted red peppers due to the subtle and tender sweetness. Green peppers pair perfectly too with less sweetness.
- Eggplant: Eggplant complements the mild acidity and cool flavor with cottage cheese. Simply roast the eggplant, then top with the cheese curds.
- Tomatoes: Cherry or big tomatoes are a fresh topping to enjoy with the goodness of cottage cheese.
- Avocado: From salad to toast for breakfast, creamy and rich avocado pairs wonderfully with the acidic fattiness of cottage cheese. The subtle and mild flavors blend well together.
- Cucumber: Refreshing and watery hothouse cucumber or Persian cucumber are perfect to dip into cottage cheese or served as a refreshing salad.
What flavor goes well with cottage cheese?
Nobody can resist a salty-sweet dish, so add some chopped plums, peaches, fresh berries, or pineapples to make the cottage cheese extra sweet. Sliced apples with a dash of cinnamon, maple syrup or honey will do the trick too.
Try roasted peppers and scallions, then sprinkle in lots of grated cucumber for those who love the savory route. The cheese’s texture also blends perfectly with simple toppings such as olive oil, but textural pops such as juicy tomatoes and crunchy chips are also fun to change the mouthfeel.
Here are classic flavor combinations that taste great with cottage cheese:
- cottage cheese + avocado + tomato + red onion + toast
- cottage cheese + maple syrup + apple + cinnamon
- cottage cheese + smoked salmon + bread + hard boiled eggs
- cottage cheese + ground turkey + lasagna + pasta sauce
- cottage cheese + olive oil + vinegar + cucumber + tomato
Eat With Cottage Cheese: Conclusion
Cottage cheese is an unsung hero in the cheese world. There’s a lot one can do with this mild-flavored cheese curd, whether pairing it with sweet or savory goodies.
Typically served with fruits such as crushed pineapples, melon balls or chunks, sliced bananas, apple butter or sauce, canned or fresh peach slices, or any combination of berries such as raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and strawberries.
This mild and soft cheese works just fine on toast, but it’s also a star in smoothies or waffles when topped with honey, maple syrup, and jam that benefits from dairy. It also makes an ideal breakfast food pairing.
For savory breakfast, lunch, dinner or even midday snack, cottage cheese can be added to lasagna, pasta, scrambled eggs, omelets, salads, dipping sauces, pizza, and casserole, the choices are endless.
One thing that stands out with cottage cheese is the versatility. Therefore, the next time you wonder what to pair it with, just know the cottage cheese can be paired with almost anything and everything.