Whether it’s the occasional cup of coffee or you can’t get off the bed without the stuff, coffee is an integral part of many people’s diet. Whether it is light or dark roasted, it pairs wonderfully with many sweet and savory dishes.
What to eat with coffee for breakfast? For breakfast, a plain cup of coffee goes well with yogurt, french toast, oatmeal, waffles, pancakes, and cereal or baked goods on the sweet side.
Savory dishes such as eggs and ham or scrambled egg, eggs benedict, breakfast burrito, omelette, bagel, breakfast sandwich. Both salty and buttery sides add complimentary flavor no matter whether the coffee is plain or has milk blended in.
Selecting what to eat with coffee in the morning is a daunting process for most people because a large portion of the popular accompaniments are sugary or junk food based.
In this article, we share breakfast ideas and healthy pairings to serve with your morning coffee. Answered below are frequently asked questions about what to eat with coffee for breakfast so that you can get the day start in the right direction with the right foods and caffeinated energy.
What flavors go well with coffee?
Coffee has subtle flavor and mild aroma that gives the beverage a beautiful flavor overall. Including fruits, vegetables, nuts, and baked goods, there are many ingredients that go well with coffee.
As a matter of fact, coffee tastes good on its own, but it tastes even better when accompanied by the right flavor combinations.
Some classic flavors to pair with morning coffee include:
- coffee + bourbon + cream
- coffee + caramel + chocolate
- coffee + cinnamon + cloves + orange
- coffee + cinnamon + cream + lemon + sugar
- coffee + mascarpone + rum + sugar + vanilla
Is coffee healthy for breakfast?
Yes, coffee is healthy for breakfast. In fact, every cup contains caffeine that is a natural stimulant to give a person energy to kickoff the day.
However, it is important to pair with a nutrient rich meal to consume with instead of drinking coffee by itself. Coffee continues to be an integral part of breakfast since it pairs perfectly with other foods and boosts energy to start the day.
Not only does the natural levels of caffeine increase alertness and boosts energy, but coffee also improves concentration and focus. With the help of coffee, working for long hours is less of a problem.
What breakfast foods taste good with coffee?
Coffee generally tastes good with sweet breakfast foods like pastries, muffins, and tarts. However, there are several breakfast foods that can be paired with coffee.
Here is most preferred breakfast foods that taste good with coffee:
- Scones: Coffee and scones seem to have an exclusive relationship, but this isn’t the case. The fruit variety dictates the type of coffee to accompany scones with. For instance, unflavored or plain scones blend perfectly with nutty-flavored coffee, while blueberry scones are better served with a cappuccino.
- Croissant: The buttery, flaky layers are incredible on their own, but taste even better with a cup of coffee. Besides intensifying its sweetness, coffee completes croissants in the right way.
- Waffles and pancakes: These delicious, fluffy pancakes, crispy waffles, light breakfast classics pair perfectly with coffee. Adding fresh fruit with maple syrup and melting butter as a topping offer increased natural sweetness.
- Toast: Any kind of white or whole wheat bread toast forms the perfect duo with coffee. Transform your french toast with some pecans, salted caramel and berry mascarpone with a cup of joe.
- Muffins: Depending on the kind of muffin, it is a fulfilling breakfast option. When serving a muffin for breakfast, keep the coffee plain to enjoy the taste from muffins.
- Donuts: Coffee and donuts are common food and drink pairing. The sweet and tender crumb of fresh donut suits wonderfully with a smooth and mellow cup of coffee.
Healthy breakfast to eat with coffee
It is known that coffee and sweet baked goods is a combo that you can’t go wrong serving together. However, there are healthy and light breakfast options that go well with coffee.
If you are on a strict diet or looking to cut down on sugary baked goods, here are simple and fool-proof healthy breakfast option to eat with coffee:
Eat For Breakfast With Coffee: Conclusion
Breakfast isn’t complete without a steaming cup of hot coffee. It is never about choosing an excellent coffee for breakfast, but what breakfast items to have with a cup of coffee.
The breakfast you pair with a cup of morning coffee makes all the huge difference.
Typically, coffee pairs wonderfully with sweets and baked goods such as scones, croissant, waffles, pancakes, toast, muffins, and donuts. For easy and quick snack, prepare fruit yogurt or parfait, oatmeal, and cereal.
However, if you are looking healthy alternative breakfast meal, consider egg dishes, breakfast burrito, omelette, or bagel. These savory dishes complement well with acidic and bitter coffee to offer a hint of smooth and natural sweetness in every sip.
Morning coffee is great way to start the day, but it is recommended to always drink coffee with food to prevent being left with an empty stomach. Using the numerous pairings listed above, I know you’ll never run out of ideas for what to pair with your cup of coffee for breakfast.