Rich, nutty and very sweet taste, caramel has a sticky consistency with creamy and buttery texture at the same time. As a result, this ooey-gooey sumptuous sauce blends perfectly with almost everything.
Be it food or drinks, there’s no lack of choices. Everything could use a little touch of caramel sweetness, from snacks and desserts to beverages and fruits.
What to eat with caramel? Caramel tastes best with nuts, fruits, spices, bourbon, rum, and vanilla. Not only in dessert or baked goods, caramel goes well with hot and cold beverages including coffee and espresso, and also cream or ice cream.
For a quick snack, caramel sauce can be great dipping sauce for granny apple or drizzle over freshly made popcorn. Top with chunky sea salt to create a sweet and salty flavor that is hard to resist.
Similar to butterscotch, it is a deeply cooked sugar, however caramel is made with white sugar instead of brown sugar like butterscotch. Depending on how long it was cooked, caramel can range from light to dark which results in richness of flavor up to verge of bitterness.
If you are wondering what else you can do with caramel for perfection, here are some classic pairings with caramel including fruits, snacks, and many more. Answered below are frequently asked questions about what to eat with caramel so that you never run out of ideas.
What goes well with caramel?
Carmel is mainly paired with fruits, desserts, and snacks.
Serve caramel with fruits such as cantaloupe, peaches, oranges, or watermelons. It can also be added to bars, cakes, cookies, meat marinades, pudding, and pies.
Additionally, this delicate sauce is used as an ice-cream topping or an ingredient combined with chocolate, whipped cream, or peanuts.
Whether you are baking or making a morning coffee with it, here are the best ingredients that go well with caramel for you to explore with:
- Nuts: almonds, macadamia nuts, pecans
- Liquors: bourbon, rum
- Chocolate: dark, milk
- Beverage: coffee, espresso, latte
- Dairy: cream, ice cream, cream cheese, whipped cream, custard
- Spices: cumin, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla
- Seeds: sesame seeds
- Wine: Champagne, Madeira, Muscat, Port, Riesling, Sauternes, sweet sherry
What fruit is good with caramel?
Caramel is almost a definition of sweetness, and even more desirable when paired with tart or tropical fruits. These flavors form a balance in the mouth, satisfying the tastebuds with delightful sweetness.
Fruits that blend perfectly with caramel include:
- tropical fruits
- passion fruit
Fruit platters are a great treat to serve with caramel sauce or as a dipping sauce on the side. In case you have a party or friends over, a fruit platter of three to six fruits can be served with a serving of caramel drizzled onto them or placed at the middle of the platter.
Snacks to eat with caramel?
Caramel is pretty versatile and pairs perfectly with multiple snacks. Whether it is fresh fruit or with chocolate and nuts, caramel adds in-depth rich sweetness and roasted taste to the snack.
Some snacks to pair with caramel include:
- Popcorn: Plain popcorn is pretty dull, but it can be upgraded quite easily. A drizzle of caramel sauce on popcorn goes a long way in adding sweetness to popped kernels. The next time you are out for a movie, don’t forget to bring along a bottle of caramel sauce.
- Ice cream: A sundae ice cream bar isn’t complete without warm caramel sauce. Garnish creamy vanilla ice cream with caramel sauce and crunchy nuts.
- Pretzels: Salty and sweet combo is heavenly. For a mouthwatering experience, add some caramel sauce to pretzels for extra deliciousness.
- Latte: From latte to macchiato beverage, coffee and espresso welcomes caramel with open heart. Simply drizzling caramel sauce on a hot or ice blended coffee with whipped cream to enjoy.
- Custard: Caramel complements well with custards made of sweetened milk, cheese or cream with egg. This thick pastry cream is a perfect way to serve the classic creme caramel custard.
- Baked goods: Other than chocolate chip, cookies, muffins, cupcakes, donuts, waffles, or bread, caramel adds natural sweetness to the mix. It balances well with brown sugar or honey to add a hint of rich and creamy caramel taste.
What flavor goes well with caramel?
Pair caramel with sour, savory, bitter, and sweet flavors for an extra exquisite treat. Tropical fruits have a tangy flavor, but adding it to caramel smoothens out everything, ensuring that everything is cohesive and irresistible in whatever you are adding it into.
A chocolate and caramel combo is always and will forever be the pinnacle of deliciousness with a base of sweetness.
To elevate the depth of flavor, pair caramel with coffee. The acidity in coffee is leveled out by sweetness of caramel making the combination tantalizing.
Eat With Caramel: Conclusion
From fruits to snacks, the list of caramel pairings is endless. It’s primarily used in sweet dishes and baking since it’s naturally sweet and creamy.
In addition, it also pairs with savory dishes to enhance their flavor and texture because the goodness, creaminess, and gooeyness of caramel is simply unbeatable.
Whether it is added to dessert or mixed in coffee or espresso, caramel does the magic. It can also be drizzled over popcorn and blends well with sea salt to give a sweet and salty combo on every bite.
A classic healthy snack featuring caramel is by pairing with sliced granny apples. The tart flavor blends well with rich and creamy explosion of sweetness in the caramel.
Not only apples, but caramel pairs well with tropical fruits and dried fruits as well.
With these flavor combination and ingredient ideas, try for yourself to add caramel with popcorn, ice cream, pretzels, latte, custard, and baked goods. Once you understand the food pairings, the endless possibilities will open up.