Crumbly texture with hint of sweetness in every bite, cornbread is a fulfilling baked goods that serves as an alternative pairing with soup. It helps to soak broth with ease so that you enjoy every aspect of the soup.
Cornbread is a perfect side dish for many meals, including soup. However, owing to its unique, delicate taste and texture, it can’t be paired with just any type of soup.
What soup goes with cornbread? Cornbread is great side dish to serve cornbread with cheese or meat based soup for rich and creamy flavor, and taco soup or tomato and acidic based broth for spicy and sour taste.
Consider to go plain classic cornbread with side of warm honey butter and as condiment for complex soup. For simple plain soup, balance out various ingredients such as meat and cornbread or pair Mexican cornbread with taco soup with for a flavorful culinary experience.
In this article, we dive deep into what soups to pair with cornbread. Included below are soups that blend perfectly with cornbread so that you never run out of fresh ideas to serve next.
What does cornbread pair well with?
Cornbread pairs perfectly with vegetables, meats, cheese, fruits, spreads, and much more. Sweet and salty is usually a fantastic flavor to pair with cornbread, and that’s why most people go for butter and jam or honey as the primary spreads.
Here are classic ingredients that plain cornbread pairs well with:
- Vegetables: onion, jalapeño chili, corn, bell peppers, zucchini, spinach, celery, red pepper, okra, broccoli, cauliflower, avocado
- Meats: roast pork, roast chicken, barbecue chicken, meatloaf, pork chop, BBQ beef or ribs, fried chicken, turkey
- Seafood: salmon patties, crawfish, shrimp, lobster, oyster, crab, clams, cod
- Cured meat: ham, bacon, chorizo
- Cheese: cheddar, parmesan, swiss
- Spices and herbs: cilantro, cayenne, coriander, cinnamon, rosemary, basil, sage
- Fruits: blueberry, raisin, strawberry, apple, peach, pear, cranberries, dried cranberries, apricots, cherries, prunes, blueberries, raspberries, lemon
- Nuts: pecans, walnuts, pine nuts
- Dairy: milk, sour cream, buttermilk
- Jam: strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, blackberry, fig, sour cherry chia, chili jam
- Butter: honey butter, maple butter, fluffy whipped, herb honey, cinnamon honey butter, maple brown butter
What goes good with beans and cornbread?
Although beans and cornbread is pretty satisfying on their own, it’s even more sumptuous when served with other pairings. Popular choices are meats, toppings, and veggies.
Depending on the time of day, cornbread can be served for breakfast or even as dessert with a scoop of ice cream.
To give a flair to the dish, serve with braised greens to give the dish a distinctive southern flavor, while some coleslaw combined with carrots, cabbage, and a tangy dressing lighten up the meal. In addition, cornbread with meat including chicken, beef, or pork make great accompaniments too.
With this in mind, spiced chili beans and cornbread make a fulfilling and nutritious wholesome meal. Top with chopped cilantro, shredded cheese, chopped red onion, and garnish with a spoonful of sour cream to complete the dish.
If you are looking to serve pinto beans and cornbread together in a meal, consider these ingredients to add on.
- leafy greens
- sour cream
Soups that go well with cornbread
Not all soups taste perfect with cornbread, and there are numerous recipe variations of cornbread and soup flavors that can alter the experience in total. From creamy to spicy and hearty, understand how these classic soups pair with plain cornbread:
- potato soup
- creamy chicken and mushroom soup
- cheeseburger soup
- roasted butternut soup
- cannelloni bean-vegetable soup
- apple and butternut squash soup
- collard green soup
- cowboy soup
- roasted tomato soup
- tortilla soup
- taco soup
- albondigas soup
- Brazilian shrimp soup
- French onion soup
Cornbread and Soup: Conclusion
Cornbread is tasty on its own, but adding a few simple side dishes or pairing it with a soup can elevate this iconic meal. Adding a few ingredients such as cheese, spices, herbs, and nuts during the baking process can add more depth and flavor to cornbread.
Pairing soup and cornbread is a comfort food for cold weather that everyone is fond of. With any classic cornbread, cheese, meat, tomato, lemony, or taco soups are great option to enjoy creamy, rich, hearty, sour, and spicy flavors.
With or without broth, beans and cornbread are also filling and make a hearty meal. Scoop a handful of beans on top of sliced cornbread and add minced onions, cilantro leaves, diced tomato, grated cheese, and sour cream to complete irresistible dish.
With moist and tender cornbread, the sky is the limit, and these endless soup pairings will provide you with instant culinary success.