Juicy, meaty, and creamy goodness, cheese makes roast beef enjoyable, especially when it comes to sandwiches. From snack to dinner, roast beef and cheese is quick and easy to prepare, which makes it a solid go-to.
Not only bread and roast beef, but there are a wide range of cheese selections based on texture, flavor, and age that determine what kind of cheese goes well together.
When serving a roast beef sandwich, popular cheese choices are swiss, muenster, and pepper jack. But when adding horseradish sauce, go with cheddar for the ultimate combo.
It is delectable, super fun, and succulent when roast beef and cheese are served in tandem.
And because it is luxurious, nobody wants to mess up the pairings. So, what kind of cheese goes well with roast beef? Let’s get into it.
Does cheddar go with roast beef?
Yes, cheddar goes well with roast beef. In fact, roast beef and cheddar are a classic combination that you cant go wrong with serving together.
The creamy cheddar has a strong and tangy flavor that accompany the tender and smoky beef.
Due to its tang and saltiness, this contrast make the roast beef and cheese complement each other and brings out the richness of the meat.
What cheese goes best with roast beef?
Cheese selections to pair with roast beef are a personal preference. Similar to cheese and wine pairing, there are various options to consider for best flavor.
The most ideal combination is cheddar cheese and roast beef.
Other cheese options that goes well with roast beef include:
- Brie: The leading go-to with roast beef is brie. Its creaminess delivers a nice balance to the savory roast beef. Not only is it sweet, but it also adds an impressive contrast to the roast meat. Here is something that can make it even more pleasant—add a few minced parsley leaves to make it lip-smacking.
- Provolone: Provolone cheese is the most versatile cheese with mild, smoky flavor which makes an excellent option to pair with deli roast beef. Slightly melted in a rustic and buttery sandwich, it is the perfect cheese to cook with or toasted in a sandwich.
- Blue cheese: This briny cheese with roast beef is an extraordinary match due to its smooth flavor. Plus, it is extremely simple to prepare and takes a few ingredients like red pepper, roast beef, basil, and oregano to really boost the flavor. Yum!
- Gruyere: With roast beef, this is a perfect combination when in need of a tasty dinner. It goes well with roast beef, offering an authentic flavor to the meat. Want to make the plate more exciting? Kick up things by adding some fresh parsley leaves.
- Gouda: Roast beef is rich in many flavors, so it calls for gouda to offset its umami. Gouda has an impressive creamy texture and is slightly less sharp so it can pair well with roast beef. Give it more flavor by pairing with your favorite herbs and spices.
- Feta: It is firm, creamy, and tangy. Try the Greek-style feta, and stuff the beef with thyme, rosemary, garlic, and kosher salt. You have got a dish to die for.
- Havarti: Another perfect combination that has stood the test of time. Havarti offers a mild taste, so it can elevate the tenderness of roast beef flavors. A juicy beef, creamy havarti, and a satisfying red wine-this meal is a full package. Even the pickiest eater will be satisfied.
- Manchego: Pair roast beef with manchego cheese. With enough cheese, peppers, and onions, this dish is satisfying, and the whole family will love it.
What flavor goes with roast beef?
Seasoning roast beef is as simple as adding spices and herbs such as cumin, mustard, cayenne, oregano, allspice, cardamom, chili powder, cinnamon, coriander seeds, juniper berries, paprika, and red pepper flakes. The right spices and herbs make the roast beef more flavorful
Here are classic flavor combinations that go with roast beef:
- roast beef + provolone cheese + butter + hoagie rolls
- roast beef + cheddar cheese + horseradish cream sauce + everything bread
- roast beef + swiss cheese + Hawaiian bread rolls
- roast beef + feta cheese + whole wheat bread + hot sauce + mushrooms
- roast beef + havarti + white wine + sour pickles + dijon mustard
Cheese with Roast Beef: Conclusion
Adding cheese to roast beef is the key to making it extra delicious. The creamy and tangy flavor of cheese helps to smooth out the saltiness and juiciness of the meat.
Typically, roast beef pairs wonderfully with provolone, brie, blue, gruyere, gouda, feta, havarti, and manchego cheese. The most popular way to serve roast beef is with cheddar cheese.
But when served as sandwich, swiss, muenster, and pepper jack is also great cheeses to eat with bread.
The suggestions in this guide are a real hit whether you are looking for spicy or sharp cheeses such as cheddar, blue cheese, or gouda.