Smokey, spicy black pepper, and sweet citrus hint of tangy coriander, pastrami is a delicious smoked and cured beef deli meat that is best eaten in sandwiches.
Other than bread and condiments for making the perfect sandwich, selecting the right cheese is critical. Cheese helps to balance out the salty and peppery flavor with subtle creamy taste.
What kind of cheese goes well with pastrami? Pastrami pairs wonderfully with swiss cheese. This type of cheese has high-quality flavor that complements the salty and smokey personalities of pastrami, and does not overpower the meat flavor.
Other cheese options that goes well with pastrami include cheddar, Jarlsberg, havarti, provolone, American cheese, mozzarella, blue cheese, and gruyere.
Cheese on a pastrami sandwich is the perfect food combination to satisfy hunger. Adding fresh lettuce and tomatoes with dark or light rye bread adds to the nutritional value.
And by the way, who doesn’t love pastrami? One bite, and you are hooked. But what cheese goes well with pastrami? We have got better options, so scroll down and check out more insight below.
What cheese goes on pastrami?
Swiss cheese is most commonly paired with pastrami. The mild and subtle flavor does not overwhelm the flavor of pastrami, therefore providing the perfect match.
But there are also other type of cheese that complement well with pastrami.
- Provolone: Together, these two deliver a saltiness and delightful flavors that will make you mouth water. However, settle for aged types because the more mature the more intense the flavor.
- Havarti: Perfect way to indulge as havarti is called the king of cheeses. Thanks to its high melting point, the pairing is cheesy and full of flavors.
- Swiss cheese: This is straightforward and a quickie lunch option. All you need is swiss cheese, tomatoes, pastrami, and greens. Grind some fresh peppercorn, and it is ready to go.
- Cheddar cheese: Pair pastrami with cheddar cheese because its sharpness cuts through the sweetness of pastrami and balances the savoriness. The sharper, the better. Try aged Wisconsin cheddar, and your pastrami will smile.
- Jarlsberg cheese: The combination is a sure hit. Jarlsberg is soft and creamy. Its creaminess pairs with pastrami for a rich and decadent pairing that is worth a try.
- Blue cheese: Gorgonzola is also excellent with pastrami. It is a delectable and interesting combination full of flavors. Just drizzle some honey for an extra burst of sweetness.
- Feta cheese: It is compact and soft with tangy and salty flavors. Feta tastes amazing when served with oregano and olive oil. The flavors of pastrami mix well when served together on a plate. Best suitable when making light pasta or rolls.
Is mozzarella good with pastrami?
Yes, mozzarella cheese is good with pastrami. In fact, mozzarella and pastrami are a perfect match because the milkiness of mozzarella marries with pastrami beautifully.
Furthermore, if you are looking to make hot pastrami sandwich, mozzarella melts and blends well in-between toasted bread.
Does American cheese go with pastrami?
Yes, American cheese goes with pastrami. This is yet another perfect option for pastrami, especially true if you want to go West coast style with freshly sliced pastrami, tomatoes, lettuce, mayo, mustard and American cheese.
This classic sandwich deserves praise! Want to enhance the taste? Add some coleslaw to let your tastebuds sing.
What flavor goes well with pastrami?
The flavors of pastrami come from a wide variety of herbs and spices such as pickles, sauerkraut, coleslaw, tomatoes, caramelized onions, shredded lettuce, black pepper, coriander, basil, peaches, grapes, and arugula. It also pairs perfectly with chili, cherry tomatoes, garlic, and capsicum.
Here are classic flavor combinations that goes well with pastrami:
- pastrami + rye bread + swiss cheese + coleslaw + dijon mustard
- pastrami + sourdough bread + American cheese + mustard
- pastrami + provolone cheese + sauerkraut + thousand island
- pastrami + hoagie roll + cheddar cheese + Worcestershire sauce
Cheese With Pastrami: Conclusion
There is something about delicious pastrami paired with the right cheese. This is especially true when you want to transform a simple sandwich into a comfort dish.
The most popular way to serve pastrami is with swiss cheese. This mild and subtle cheese accompany well with pastrami and does not overwhelm the flavors when combined.
In addition, mozzarella and American cheese are excellent choices to make into sandwich or even salad.
If you are exploring more flavor combinations with pastrami, go further and try with provolone, havarti, cheddar, Jarlsberg, blue cheese, and feta cheese.
Try the pastrami and cheese ideas shared in this guide. When your tastebuds crave a tasty dish with practically no effort, then this combo will do wonders.