From sweet to savory, there are many crackers options to choose between. Pairing with the right flavor crackers is what will set the gouda cheese apart.
What crackers are good with gouda cheese? Gouda cheese typically goes with multigrain crackers that are less yeasty, and have a distinct crunchiness that helps to improve the overall texture and flavor of the combo.
With aged and smoked gouda cheese, simple water or basic butter crackers are a perfect combination.
Regular gouda cheese also goes well with spicy red chili flakes or cayenne pepper spiced crackers as well as sunflower seeds crackers.
Regardless of age and techniques used to make the gouda cheese, the nutty, spicy, and buttery notes are the focus of the pairing.
Whether serving this cheese as appetizer or on a charcuterie board, serving the right crackers to eat with gouda cheese is key. This article will help you find out the perfect pairing for best taste.
What does gouda cheese go well with?
Typically, gouda cheese pairs exceptionally well with fruits. Aged or smoked cheese goes well with stone fruit, and young gouda goes well with tangy and sour fruits.
Other than fruits, meat, seeds, bread, jam, there are countless options to serve with your crackers and gouda cheese combinations.
- Meats: salami, ham, prosciutto, bacon, chicken breast, beef, turkey, ground meat
- Fruits: apples, apricots, cherries, melon, peaches, pears
- Vegetables: spinach, bell peppers, broccoli, sweet potato, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, squash, carrots
- Nuts: walnuts, pine nuts, pecans
- Cheese: cheddar, parmesan, goat, cream cheese, muenster
- Seeds: sunflower, pumpkin, caraway seeds, cumin, fennel
- Spices: smoked paprika
- Condiments: dijon mustard, Worcestershire, hot sauce, mayonnaise
- Bread: sourdough, white, baguette, whole wheat, pretzel
- Jam: fig, orange, plum, bacon-onion, raspberry
- Wine: Pinot Not, Cabernet Sauvignon, Bordeaux, Cabernet Franc
- Beer: brown ales, brown porters, or amber ales
What crackers are best with gouda cheese?
Crackers are fun addition to consume with gouda cheese. The natural caramel and butterscotch flavors in gouda helps to balance the sweet and semi hard cheese.
Here are cracker options that go well with gouda cheese to try yourself:
- sunflower seed crackers
- wheat crackers
- water crackers
Best gouda cheese and crackers combinations
Known for pairing with fruits, gouda cheese and crackers has mild flavor to begin with. Adding herbs, nuts, cured meat, and condiments elevate the snack to the next level.
- gouda cheese + crackers + apple + bacon + honey
- gouda cheese + crackers + pear + thyme + Dijon mustard
- gouda cheese + crackers + dried cranberries + pecans + cream cheese
- gouda cheese + crackers + prosciutto + cream cheese + sour cream + baby arugula
- gouda cheese + crackers + cranberry sauce + thyme + brown sugar + onions + butter
Gouda Cheese with Crackers: Conclusion
Gouda cheese has wonderful caramel and butterscotch flavor that adds richness that complements well and balances with crackers. Therefore, it is often found on snack trays and cheese spreads.
Generally, this type of cheese pairs well with less yeasty crisps such as multigrain, seed or water crackers. The crunch helps to enhance the texture and flavor of the cheese by giving it a sturdy surface to stand on.
Aged and smoked gouda goes particularly well with water or buttery crackers to balance the strong and bold cheese flavor.
To make the savory snack more fun, try with spicy red chili flakes or cayenne pepper spiced crackers. A healthy option is to consider serving sunflower seed crackers.
From fruits to cured meats and fruit jams, gouda cheese is versatile and allows the crackers to be eaten with a range of other condiments and ingredients.
If gouda cheese is your go to or you have only tried it in sandwiches, use the tips in this guide to try the classic flavor combination that will take the experience to the next level.