Roast beef is a complete lip-smacking treat. It is easy to slice for a sandwich, perfect for weeknight dinners or holiday entertaining.
Taste ranges from savory to juicy, tender, and slightly sweet, roast beef has umami flavor that will satisfy your cravings.
Whether sliced thin or served or as a thick cut main entree, roast beef pairs wonderfully with bread. However, not all bread tastes good with roasted beef.
What bread goes with roast beef? The types of bread that go best with roast beef include Russian black bread, cheddar popovers, challah, potato bread or rolls.
But when it comes to making roast beef sandwich, consider ciabatta, french, sourdough, kaiser, croissant, and rustic artisanal bread.
For healthier bread option, try whole wheat, flatbread, tortillas, or pita bread.
Not only does the combination taste good together, but it is also loaded with fiber and vitamins that boost its nutritional value.
In this article, we answer frequently asked questions about what kind of bread goes with roast beef and to make this classic pairing more enjoyable. So, what bread is best to serve with roast beef? Find out below.
What comes with a classic roast beef sandwich?
Put roast beef on a slice of bread facing up and dress the combination with sliced cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and onion. Dijon or french mustard and mayo will also help to moisten the bread.
Other fun things to add on a classic roast beef sandwiches include caraway seeds, creamy horseradish, thousand island dressing, Muenster cheese, and pepper bacon.
What kind of bread for you eat with roast beef on?
Depending on the recipe and personal preference, there are various breads to serve with roast beef. From soft fluffy to crusty bread, slow cooked roast beef with cheese and condiments are a fulfilling meal to use up the leftovers.
Whether you make as a sandwich or serve the main entree with sides, there are specific type of bread that taste really good with roast beef:
- Russian black bread: Similar to rye bread or pumpernickel, it contains molasses and coriander which results in a characteristics of sweet and malty flavor. It pairs well with butter, cheese, or any other toppings to serve as a sandwich.
- Cheddar popovers: Traditionally, roast beef and popovers are a versatile alternative to bread and rolls for dinner. Side of mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce helps to digest roast beef.
- Challah: This egg bread, especially when sprinkled with poppy seeds, goes well with a roast beef sandwich. Simply add cheddar and brown butter aioli to make a delicious sandwich.
- Potato bread: Bread or rolls are great addition to dinner, and tasty alternative to Hawaiian rolls because they are much less sweet.
- Ciabatta: With roast beef is an excellent option. The chewy texture and sour taste combines well with the meaty and smoky flavors to give you a delicious bite. It has everything you need in a simple-to-prepare dinner, which is truly comforting and satisfying.
- Kaiser bread: The sweet, crispy Kaiser pairs perfectly with roast beef and adds an amazing texture. It also delivers the much-needed flavors that make the dish taste like heaven on the mouth.
- Croissant: This is a perfect weeknight dinner, but the combination also works well as a quick snack. Roast beef has savory flavors and a tender base that calls for the flaky layers of a croissant. The dish will leave you feeling satisfied, but returning for more.
- Sourdough: Deliciously prepared roast beef with sourdough bread is a delightful meal when short on time. The combination tastes great, as if you have been grinding in the kitchen for hours, but it is easy to make. Sourdough bread offers a well balanced flavor that pairs well with roast beef.
What flavor goes well with roast beef?
Roast beef calls for various favors, including savory, strong, and sweet. However, it requires proper seasoning to make the dish exquisite, and herbs like basil, thyme, and parsley will do the trick.
- Basil: It is one of the powerful flavors that goes well with roast beef. Basil contains bright flavors that perfectly blend the bold flavors of roast beef. It is delicious and will brighten the dish by adding freshness.
- Thyme: Another synonymous flavor with roast beef. Whether dry or fresh, thyme adds a touch of depth that will elevate the deliciousness.
- Parsley: Best known for its bright flavors. Parsley adds a fresh note to roast beef. Rosemary offers a piney flavor that wonderfully pairs with the greasy flavors of roast beef. Whether fried or fresh, it adds a warm taste and fragrant aroma to roast beef.
Other flavors may include sea salt, pepper, parmesan cheese, mustard, chives, mayonnaise, horseradish, sage, sour cream, etc.
With these seasoning in mind, here are common classic flavors to try with:
- roast beef + french bread + dijon mustard + onions + cream cheese
- roast beef + rye bread + swiss cheese + dill pickles
- roast beef + pumpernickel bread + sour cream
- roast beef + horseradish + dinner Hawaiian rolls + swiss cheese + onion + Worcestershire sauce + garlic powder
Bread with Roast Beef: Conclusion
Roast beef is super luxurious, oh-so-delicious, and delivers the level of taste you desire. Additionally, it can be served as various meal idea from sandwich to casserole.
When serving bread on the side, Russian black bread, cheddar popovers, challah, and potato rolls are highly recommended.
However, when it comes to sandwiches, ciabatta, french baguette, sourdough, kasier, croissant, and rustic bread are great options.
To eliminate overloading carb, replace with whole wheat, flatbread, tortillas, or pita bread.
To improve the roast beef and bread combination, season the meat with basil, thyme, and parsley to make the bread pairing extraordinarily delicious.
And when preparing a classic roast beef sandwich, spread horseradish, mayonnaise, muenster cheese, peppery bacon to make every bite memorable.
Why not delight tastebuds with the goodness of serving roast beef with bread? Try the ideas in this guide and be sure to wow friends with crazy cooking skills.